Monday, June 21, 2010

Mermaid Parade in Coney Island 2010: Hot Rods and Perverts Galore



I had a Nathan's that came to 4.36 because of tax in Luna Park. Are you kidding?

I also went on the Wonder Wheel for the first time.

Wonder Wheel Operator: Did she tell you to go on the swinging cart?
Me: Stationary, stationary!
Girlfriend Who Totally Does Rollercoasters: NOoooo we have to go on the swinging one.
Wonder Wheel Operator: Hey man, listen to her, I've been listening to my wife for the last 37 years, best thing I ever did.
Me: Okay okay (apparently I speak in single word repeats)

I'm so not a rollercoaster/heights person. I had to clench so hard to prevent The Browning Version on that swinging pendulum of death and it was just a ferris wheel.

Coney Island is something of a shit show all the time. The train ride out there is one of my favorite parts actually; you get to see a little bit of Brooklyn life along the way, and what emphasizes that is I don't travel that far out often so the ride becomes a little more special and more observational than usual.

The last time I went to the Mermaid Parade it was probably 6 years ago. This year, it's bigger than ever, but I have a few things to nitpick. First, it's a very disorganized sort of hodge podge of a parade. Second, you end up getting trapped very easily on one side or the other, or even worse, trapped in one section of the boardwalk and you think you can get out but you hit a dead end.

But I digress. There are many colorful mermaids, and even more perverts, and a smattering of families, so it's your basic Mardi Gras for 12+ set. We got to take some pictures next to a few guest stars on To Catch a Predator who were spouting off some of the cheesiest lines I've ever heard at the mermaids. "Show us your fins" is a stupid saying dude.

Anywho, after backtracking a couple of stops to lovely Sheepshead Bay (I say godDAMN there's a Chinese buffet) and pigging out on Rendazzo's, we were in for the day and out for the night.

Here are some pictures we took in the same attitude since we couldn't get close enough.
















No comments: