Sunday, March 7, 2010

Time Out New York Issue Does One Thing Right, One Thing Lackluster

The recent Time Out New York issue with the "best movie theaters in the city" feature gets one thing right and one thing wrong.

Let's start with the right: at least listing Funayama in the print edition and also honoring it in the online feature for "best all you can eat deals". Funayama has been my favorite sushi place for about 7 years now; you won't be able to convince me otherwise that it's the best combo of price and quality. Chinese run but undeniably fresh fish, coupled with the huge portions (bigger isn't necessarily better, but in this case, go for it) makes for a great time. Their menu is cheap and their spicy mayo has yet to be matched. In fact, since many of the sushi restaurants are Chinese or Korean run in the city, it's time the good ones get their due. Funayama infiltrates my dreams.

I just hope that it doesn't get too crowded and trendy; Frank and the gang there I think would rather keep it simple. For the Time Out feature, go here, and for the official site, go here.

Speaking of sushi though, I can't always make it to Funayama. For my best bet, and there are plenty of options in my area of downtown Brooklyn; if you're new to the area I would suggest Kyoto and the two places on Montague; there's also a cheap option in Iro Sushi, a fairly new joint on a bare block on Columbia; it's the kind of place you have to root for as a small business even though it's not the best (but certainly for the price serviceable).

Here's what the Time Out issue doesn't explore in-depth enough: the movie theater feature. They profile a handful, several of them multiple times, and mention only one or two out of the way gems (best for Bollywood and they list a multiplex just because there's Indian food in the area?). They go through some fringe series (which is fine, but there are more) and an ok where-to-get-dinner-before-or-after-movie kind of section. A part of movie theater experiences is the convenience of location, especially for many non-drivers in the city. I agree that the Court Street UA 12 theater is rowdy (which can be hilarious or annoying, depending on the film) but I'm not sure if it's really the best comparison to a grindhouse experience.

I just think they left some out, and that's really the only bone to pick I have with it. What about the Pavilion theater by Prospect Park? What about the big Astoria UA Kaufman theater? Cobble Hill's hilarious intro theme? Fringe theaters and societies like the Kings County Cinema Society? Come on Time Out.

Since Time Out doesn't seem to know it's theaters enough to really dig deep, the KCB takes some time with T.I.:



No comments: